IN SCHOOL AND At Home Health Screening
Keeping school buildings open depends upon awareness of and immediate action on any COVID-19 concerns in our buildings. To do this, we need students and staff in our buildings to get tested! That’s why we’re bringing testing directly into schools beginning in October 2020. Our testing partners will come to district schools, every month, and test a randomly selected group of staff and students from grades 1-12.
As per the NYC DOE and DOH protocol, beginning Tuesday, September 29th, 2020, all families must screen each child before coming to school by completing an online screening questionnaire or by filling out a paper questionnaire. Temperature checks need to be done at home prior to entering the school. Families will be required to show their clearance to the designated personnel by displaying it on their smartphone or by providing a filled out paper.
- Use the online health screening tool - Download the APP on your phone OR
- Print and Fill Out the paper version each day and bring it to school.
A printable version of the health screening questionnaire can be found at
Should you have any questions or want additional information please go to https://www.schools.nyc.gov/
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS TAKEN BY OUR SCHOOL
In addition to asking everyone to wear masks, wash hands, and maintain social distancing, our school has taken several steps to improve the safety of our staff and students. These steps have been recommended by local health authorities to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 and other illnesses.
- Changes in class sizes: We've reduced the average class size from 25-31 to about 8 for in-person instruction.
- Improvements in ventilation: In an effort to maximize air circulation, we are opening windows whenever possible and have added industrial fans to high-traffic areas.
- Increases in cleaning frequency: Our custodial team is committed to cleaning all classrooms twice daily, once before the school day and once in the afternoon. In addition, all classroom teachers have been provided with sanitizing wipes to wipe down surfaces and shared resources on an as-needed basis throughout the school day.
- Hand sanitation: All bathrooms have been stocked with extra soap for frequent hand washing. In addition, we have provided teachers with hand sanitizer for the classroom and added hand sanitizer stations in common areas.
HEALTH SCREENING FORMS
HERE ARE THE HEALTH SCREENING FORMS IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WHILE IN THE BUILDING
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn at all times by all adults (teachers, staff, and visitors) and by students in grade 2 and up while in the building. If your child is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, they must have an excuse signed by a doctor on file in the office.
- Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Drop-off and pickup procedures: Please maintain social distancing between families during drop-off and pickup. Parents are not allowed to enter the building with their child unless arrangements have been made in advance with the office. Please move through the drop-off and pickup line as quickly as possible to make room for families behind you.
- Visiting our school: We are limiting visitors to the school during this time. Parent and community volunteer and in-person tutoring have been suspended until further notice. Most parent-teacher conferences and other meetings can be held virtually. All visits must be pre-approved and scheduled with the office.
- While in the building: When you enter the building, please check in at the front desk. During check-in, you will be given a name tag and reminded to wear your mask at all times.
- Traffic flow in hallways and common areas: Hallways are marked with arrows. Please keep at least 3 ft. distance between yourself and others.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 99.9°F must stay home. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you stay home or at a designated care facility for a minimum of 14 days. Please contact us via phone or email as soon as possible.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
CORRECT WAY TO WEAR MASK
Wear a Mask at all Times
How we can help keep everyone safe!
In our effort to keep everyone safe and healthy, we are starting some new procedures at PS 38. Please follow all safety precautions and CDC guidelines to keep yourself and others safe. We thank you for your cooperation and your ongoing support.