Social Emotional Learning
Comfort Dog Shelby
What is Social Emotional Learning?
Social-emotional learning (SEL) is the process of developing the self-awareness, self-control, and interpersonal skills that are vital for school, work, and life success.
People with strong social-emotional skills are better able to cope with everyday challenges and benefit academically, professionally, and socially. From effective problem-solving to self-discipline, from impulse control to emotion management and more, SEL provides a foundation for positive, long-term effects on kids, adults, and communities.
Comfort Dog Information
George Cromwell’s Comfort Dog Mission is to utilize an additional staff member, in canine form, to increase rigorous instruction, specifically language and reading skills, to assist our students with managing stress, to increase attendance and decrease tardiness, in a supportive environment, in collaboration with school staff, administration, parents and our canine partner.
The students of George Cromwell school will be guided to be more empathetic individuals with strong skills in self awareness of emotions and how to express them in a positive manner. Students will become confident learners ready, willing and able to comfortably problem solve and communicate potential solutions.
PS 38’s school wide goals is to have a more supportive environment and strengthen our core instruction which leads to greater student wellbeing and academic success.
We believe the Comfort Dog Program will help us reach that goal.
The goals of the George Cromwell Comfort Dog Program are:
- increase in school attendance
- Student gains in confidence and social-emotional learning
- decreases in learner anxiety behaviors resulting in improved learning outcomes, such as increases in reading and writing levels
- positive changes towards learning and improved motivation, and
- enhanced relationships with peers and teachers due to experiencing trust and unconditional love from a therapy dog. This in turn helps students learn how to express their feelings and enter into more trusting relationships.
Shelby is a 7 year old Australian Shepherd Poodle mix. She is considered NON-Shedding. Shelby has AKC titles in Obedience, Rally and Fast-Cat. We continue to train each week to keep her skills sharp. She is a Pet Partners Therapy Dog and is evaluated every year. Any questions or concerns, please reach out to Ms. Regan at email@example.com