SPECIAL EVENTS- School Spirit
Join us this December as we celebrate the holidays and welcome the winter season.
Notes from Mrs. Murillo
Can you believe we are already bringing closure to November? As we get ready to enter December, the days will get darker earlier and temperatures will soon get much colder. Please make sure your children dress appropriately for the change in weather as their scheduled Gym will continue to take place outdoors.
We began the year assessing students and getting to know them as we continue to build relationships. Our second round of assessments has now taken place and teacher teams are spending a great deal of time comparing various September data to current data as we continue to strengthen our core curriculum, monitor student progress and provide supports to students. Teachers will also continue to engage in virtual meetings and phone conferences on family engagement Tuesdays to share student Glows and Grows as your children continue on their learning path. Our school Initiative: Partners with Families Partners in Learning, is our driving force behind this work as parent involvement in their child’s education is a clear indicator of student success.
We are working collaboratively with our School Support Team, teachers, Literacy Coach, School Leadership Team and PTA to begin to schedule some family workshops. Each workshop is selected based on the feedback we receive from parents and our staff. These workshops will provide you with strategies aligned to our various curriculums so you can continue to support your children at home. Please be on the lookout for these fliers as our goal is to continue to support our families as partners in your child’s learning.
How are we supporting students?
Here is a Glimpse:
· Special Ed Academic Recovery after school program launched on November 17. IEP students selected based on data provided to us by Central. Tier 2 students will be invited in December and letters will be forthcoming.
· An additional part time ENL teacher who provides ENL services/supports to students acquiring the English language K-5
· An additional two day a week teacher to support students and teachers in grades K-2 learning to read.
· IEP teacher push in support using SPIRE and Fundations (research-based programs) to students in need of phonemic awareness.
· Literacy Coach-supports teachers and students in K-2 as children are learning to read.
· Multi-tiered supports provided to all children in need in collaboration with our support team (K-5).
· Social Emotional in class lessons provided by our support team.
· Move to Improve-Integrated in all classes-We are an All Star School
What’s Coming? (letters will be forthcoming)
· Title III after school ENL program-launches in December and invitation letters will be forthcoming. We have also partnered with Sun Dog Theaters to provide 3-D literacy through the arts during this program which is rich in language and vocabulary development, fun and engaging.
· I have applied for an arts grant for our 2nd grade to receive 3-D literacy during the school day…pending award of the grant.
· Early grade Creative Arts Mini Series After School Program-December
· Newspaper/Journalism Club: 5th grade January
· Year Book-5th
We are currently searching for a research based math support program…Other programs may evolve throughout the year. Some take place during the school day and others after school. We will keep you informed of all offerings as they evolve. This is just a glimpse into all we are doing to provide your children with rich learning experiences and supports.
December Spirit Days are coming! The Winter Solstice (first day of winter) begins on December 21, 2021. Next week we hope to send home a calendar of all School Spirit days for the month of December. All classes will also engage children in decorating their classroom door around the theme of Winter Magic!
December PTA Meeting: Our December Virtual PTA Meeting will take place on December 14, 2021 at 2:45 pm. We will recognize recipients of the Student of the Month for academic excellence in the area of Reading. Citizens of the Month will be recognized for serving as a role model in the area of Respect for All as they continue to demonstrate kindness. The code to join the virtual meeting in the Google platform is: ps38rpta.
Lastly, as Thanks Giving approaches I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to all of our families for entrusting your children to us. They are all unique and amazing and truly make our hearts smile!!!!!
I want to wish all of you a VERY HAPPY Thanks Giving with your loved ones. Cherish the moments which matter and remember how far we’ve come from last year.
From our P.S. 38 family to yours…Wishing You All a Lovely Thanksgiving Holiday!
May Thanks Giving and every day be filled with love of family, friends, and many beautiful memories.
Believing In Children...
Inspiring Young Minds,
REPORT CARD AND STUDENT INFORMATION
- Go to teachhub.schools.nyc.
- Login using your child's DOE account (the account used to sign into Google Classroom).
- Click on the “K-12” tab.
- Find and click on the “Student Documents” icon.
- Click on “Report Card.”
Your NYC Schools Account is your gateway to family-facing technology to support and track your children's progress through public school education at the NYC Department of Education. Open an account today to apply to schools, track your children's progress from Pre-K through high schoool graduation, and get access to other digital content for New York City families exclusively available to NYC Schools Account holders!
Opening a NYC Schools Account is the first step towards becoming more involved in your student's education. Receive updates via text messages or email about school closures, emergencies, and upcoming events. Link your students and start monitoring things like grades, test scores, attendance.
YOU WILL NEED TO SET UP A PARENT ACCOUNT IN CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT
School Health and Safety
The NYC Department of Education will be hosting a series of virtual Back-to-School Family Forums led by the borough leaders and featuring Chancellor Meisha Porter, DOE Leadership, and the NYC Department of Health.
- Thursday, September 2, 2021
- 8–9:30 PM
- Translation services available in Spanish, Mandarin, Russian
- Register now!
2021-2022 Executive PTA Board
- President: Nicole Ryan
- 1st Vice President: Savi Talalay
- 2nd Vice President: Nissrine Benelkour
- Recording Secretary: Ashantay Carroll
- Treasurer: Yvonne Ortega
- Corresponding Secretary: Katherine Chernin
- Parliamentarian is an appointed position: Christina Rosario has been appointed
Get the FREE Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine for ages 5-11
Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine pop up event!
When: Tuesday, November 9, 2021 Time: 12:30 – 4:00 pm
Location: P.S. 38 All Purpose Room 421 Lincoln Avenue, Staten Island, NY
Walk-up for a Pfizer Vaccine!
Notes from Chancellor Porter
The District 31 Community Education Council Presents: A VIRTUAL TOWN HALL EVENT with Chancellor Meisha Porter
All District 31 parents are urged to attend!
Monday, November 8 th
6:30 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
Please register for this event at the following link,
Don’t miss this excellent opportunity. Issues and concerns
will be addressed.
English Conference Line: Dial 929 205 6099 (Local NYC) and enter Webinar ID: 835 9700 6395
Spanish Conference Line: Dial 888 475 4499 (Toll Free) and enter PIN 735 255 0102 # #
Mandarin Conference Line: Dial 888 475 4499 (Toll Free) and enter PIN 933 059 6663 # #
Russian Conference Line: Dial 877 853 5257 (Toll Free) and enter PIN 565-808-2412 # #
Check out the link above for information about:
Back-to-School Family Forums
Updated Health and Safety Guidance
Attendance and Grading
Update Your Contact Information