Parent Corner

Up-Coming School Events

See calendar for special events coming up.

PTA Minutes for Meeting

PS 38February 13 , 2024 PTA Minutes

Meeting called to order 8:30am 

Nicole Ryan PTA President: 

Willingness to serve form for PTA 

and Title 1 PAC 

Nominating committee 

Minutes Read & Reviewed 

Motion to pass minutes 

1st Casazza 2nd Adam Robins 

Minutes Passed All in favor; none opposed 

Treasurer’s Report read & reviewed Interim Financial Report was shared Motion to pass Treasurer’s Report 

1st Adam Robins 2nd Bajro 

Treasurer's Report passed 

Motion passed All in favor; none opposed


Upcoming Events: 

2/14 I Love You Day - wear red or pink - Rose Distribution 

2/19-2/23 Mid Winter Recess 

2/27-2/28 Parents as Learning Partners 2/29 Black History Assembly 

3/05 Graduation & Stepping Up Pictures 3/07 Parent Teacher Conferences 3/12 PTA meeting 

School website: 

Facebook: PS 38 Parents (Midland Beach) 

Dr. Cotto - Interim Acting Principal: 

Test Prep After School Program 

Day 28 Reflection as a Principal 

Update on School Logo and Sweaters 

Updated Device Plan 

Cafeteria Makeover 

Integration of Arts into Curriculum Multi-Tiered Systems of Support Plan 

Mrs. Botillico: 

Student and Citizen of the month 

Motion to adjourn meeting 

1st Adam Robins 2nd Bajro 

Motion passed All in favor; none opposed Meeting Adjourned 6:20pm 

Minutes recorded 

by Savi Talalay 

Recording Secretary

PS 38 3/12/2024 Treasurer’s Report


Beginning Balance: $9451.43


Spirit Day $111.00

5th Grade Fundraiser $259.00

Smillow Fundraiser $560.00


5th Grade Fundraiser $305.00

Metavivor $28.02

Ending Blance: $10048.41


Upcoming School Spirit Days

See calendar for School Spirit days

Every Friday Wear Your PS 38 Sweatshirt

Citywide Behavioral Expectations to Support Student Learning

The Discipline Code is also known as the Citywide Behavioral Expectations to Support Student Learning. It:

  • Is age-specific with one set for grades K-5 and another for grades 6-12.
  • Explains the standards for behavior in the New York City public schools.
  • Describes supports, interventions, and disciplinary responses that schools can use when students demonstrate unwelcome behavior.
  • Explains how you can appeal decisions.
  • Includes the K-12 Student Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.

Mental Health- Parent Information

 Parent Cafe Suicide Prevention: How caregivers can identify early signs and symptoms
Zoom meeting Feb. 16, 2021 from 3:00-4:oopm 

Visit the website to register: Parent Cafe- Suicide Prevention

Parent workshops

Wednesday May 15, 2024

Fifth Grade Graduation Parent Meeting 8:15 AM IN PERSON at PS 38

Technology Help Desk

NYC DOE Help Deck-Technical Support
Call the DOE Service Desk at 718-935-5100.

Technology Help-NYC Technology Help Desk 


iPad Troubleshooting One-Page revised again 1.pdf 


PS 38 Grading Policy

P.S. 38 Promotion Policy In accordance with Chancellor’s Regulation A-501 and the NYCDOE Promotion Implementation Guide, P.S. 38 has benchmarks and multiple measures students must achieve in order to be promoted to the next grade level. Each measure, and its benchmarks, represents the content and skills students need to master, or show sufficient progress towards standards, in order to be ready for and successful in the next grade

 K-2 Promotional Policy for PS 38.docx  

3-5 Promotion Policy for PS 38 draft (1).docx 

NYC DOE Attendance Policy

Attendance- Our school day STARTS at 7:45am Any child arriving after 7:55 will be marked late.

Regular school attendance is crucial to learning successfully. Here are attendance policies for the 2022-2023 school year:

In-person: To be marked “present,” your child must be physically present in the classroom or school learning environment for at least one instructional period during the school day.

Remote: When students must be remote (for example, when they are quarantining or their school buildings are closed in whole or in part), they must be virtually present for synchronous or asynchronous instruction during the scheduled program day.


NYC Messages for Families

Chancellor’s Citywide Behavioral Expectations

September 2021
Dear Families, 
As we welcome back all students to our school buildings this year, the NYC Department of Education (NYCDOE) is committed to ensuring safe, supportive, and inclusive environments in all schools. We successfully foster these environments by providing professional learning for teachers and school staff on how to support students who may be experiencing challenges in or outside of the school day and by engaging families as partners in our school communities.

Driven by our Framework for Great Schools (, we know that schools need to be culturally responsive spaces where all children are affirmed and all families are viewed as key partners in the educational process. We recognize that students experienced unique challenges during the 2020-21 school year and need schools that are prepared to support them. Our school communities are working diligently to support the social-emotional, mental, and physical health and safety of our students.

We ask that you, along with your child, review the Chancellor’s Citywide Behavioral Expectations to Support Student Learning (, which includes the Discipline Code and outlines the K-12 Student Bill of Rights and Responsibilities (, protections for students with disabilities, and expectations for student behavior. Please discuss these behavioral expectations with your child. The Discipline Code applies to all students—and includes both supports and interventions, as well as disciplinary responses. Please note that the 2019-20 Discipline Code remains in effect for the 2021-22 school year. The full Discipline Code is available in all NYCDOE-supported languages at and can be provided by your school in paper
copy, upon request. The Discipline Code outlines how school staff will address behavioral issues with a focus on restorative approaches. For more information about behavioral expectations, please visit

We thank you in advance for reviewing the Discipline Code and for your partnership in contributing to a supportive, safe, and inclusive school climate. Thank you for making our school community better, stronger, and safer for all children. If you have any questions, please contact your school’s principal. 

Best wishes for the upcoming school year! 

Best regards,  
Mark Rampersant
Senior Executive Director
Office of Safety and Youth Development

Google Classroom 2023-2024

The DOE creates a student account for every single New York City public school student, including 3K and Pre-K students. With your DOE student account, you can access an array of DOE technology platforms, including:

  • TeachHub,
  • iLearnNYC
  • Google for Education,
  • Microsoft Office,
  • Zoom,
  • and more.

For help with these accounts please go to DOE Student Accounts

For families who have not used Google Classroom before, or for a refresher, please go to How do I sign in to Classroom? 



It is the policy of the New York City Department of Education (DOE) that, in accordance with § 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (§ 504), no otherwise qualified person with a disability shall, solely by reason of
their disability, be excluded from or otherwise denied participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject
to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or provided by the DOE. Confidentiality rights of
persons with disabilities will be respected.

Chancellor’s Regulation A-710 sets forth the DOE policies and procedures, including complaint procedures,
for students attending DOE schools and programs who are qualified individuals with disabilities as defined in
§ 504 and who are in need of accommodations in order to participate in DOE programs.
Chancellor’s Regulation A-830 sets forth the DOE’s anti-discrimination policies and procedures, including
complaint procedures, for employees, parents of students, students and others who do business with, use
DOE facilities or otherwise interact with the DOE.

Direct inquiries regarding student § 504 rights or procedures to:
For Students and Parents: § 504 Program Manager
Office of School Health
42-09 28th Street, CN#25
Long Island City 11101
(718) 310-2429

External Resource: U.S. Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights
32 Old Slip, 26th Floor
New York, NY 10005-2500
(646) 428-3900
Rev. April 2020


 Notice of non-discrimination under 504.pdf 
Telephone: (212) 374-6888 ● Fax (212) 374-5596

504 Accommodations: Student & Family Guide


 504 Accomodations_ Student Family Guide.pdf 

Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 requires public schools to offer accommodations for
eligible students with disabilities. These accommodations help students with special health needs to
participate in New York City Department of Education (DOE) programs and activities on an equal basis
with their peers who do not have disabilities. This guide explains who qualifies for accommodations, how
to apply, and how accommodation plans are developed.
Learn more about Section 504 on the DOE 504 Accommodations webpage or by reaching out to your
school’s 504 Coordinator.

Which students qualify for 504 accommodations?
Students qualify if:
1. They have a physical or mental impairment; and
2. The impairment substantially limits at least one major life activity.
1. Physical or Mental Impairments
Some examples of physical or mental impairments are physical disabilities, health conditions,
mental disorders, and learning disabilities.

What about short term or episodic impairments?
 Short term impairments (like a broken leg) may qualify a student for 504 accommodations.
This depends on the type of the impairment, how long it lasts, and how severe itis.
 Episodic impairments (like asthma) may qualify a student for 504 accommodations. Students
are qualified if the impairment substantially limits a major life activity when it isactive.

2. Examples of Major LifeActivities
 Caring for oneself
 Walking
 Seeing
 Hearing
 Speaking
 Breathing
 Eating
 Sleeping
 Standing
 Lifting
 Bending
 Reading
 Focusing
 Thinking
 Communicating
 Learning
 Working
 Doing tasks with one’s hand

Does your child have an impairment that substantially limits them in any of the life activities listed
above? If so, your child may qualify for accommodations under Section 504. Once the correct
forms are submitted to the school, each student’s case is reviewed individually.

Which accommodations are available for eligible students under Section 504?
Your child may be eligible for health services and/or other types of accommodations.
 Health services are for students who need to take medicine (like insulin) or receive a special
nursing treatment at school. For these services, please submit the relevant Medication
Administration Form (MAF) or Medically Prescribed Treatment Form to your child’s school.
 Educational accommodations are for students who need building, classroom, or testing
accommodations. For example, students with trouble hearing may need to be seated close to the
blackboard. Other students may need a barrier-free building, assistive technology, or breaks or
extra time to take tests. For these accommodations, please submit the Request for Section 504
Accommodations Form with HIPAA, and Medical Accommodations Request Form to your school’s
504 Coordinator.

Additional examples of accommodations include:
 Paraprofessionals are assigned to students who require support with tasks due to their disability
in order to access DOE programs and activities. For example: a student with diabetes who is not
able to monitor their blood glucose levels on their own or a student who may need assistance with
toileting due to a physical or physiological disability.
 Transportation Accommodations, such as for limited travel time or paraprofessional support (to
provide one-to-one supervision on the school bus), are reviewed by the DOE Office of Pupil
Transportation, who makes a recommendation to the school’s 504 Team. Ask your 504
Coordinator for more information.

How do I request accommodations?
Complete the forms as described above. All forms can be found on the DOE Health Services or 504
Accommodations webpages. You may also ask your school’s 504 Coordinator for the forms.
Return completed medication/medical treatment forms to the school nurse/medical professional in
the school building, and the Request for Section 504 Accommodations and Medical Accommodations
Request forms to your school’s 504 Coordinator. The 504 Coordinator will contact you within 5 school
days of your initial request to schedule a meeting that will occur within 30 school days of your initial
request. You will be part of the school-based 504 Team that meets to discuss your request and other
relevant information about your child and decides if your child is eligible for accommodations and if so,
which accommodations are most appropriate.

Who goes to the 504 accommodations meeting (“504 Team meeting”)?
The 504 Team meeting is attended by you and people who know your child’s abilities. They understand
the information that is being reviewed and know the types of accommodations that may meet your
child’s needs. The 504 Team meeting must include at least two people who can:
 Talk about your child’s abilities and skills. (For example, your child’s teacher or guidance
counselor may attend.)
 Interpret reports or evaluations. (For example, the school social worker or nurse may attend.)
 Share information about the accommodations that may meet your child’s needs. (For
example, the 504 Coordinator should attend.)

What information is reviewed at the meeting?
The 504 Team will review information from different sources, such as your child’s tests,
observations, work samples, report cards, and medical records. This will help the Team understand
your child’s abilities, achievement, behaviors, and health needs. Parents and school staff may bring
any information they believe best describes the child’s abilities and needs.

Diagnosis and Suggestions from Your Child’s Doctor
Your child’s doctor must complete the Medical Accommodations Request Form. The doctor may
suggest that the school provide certain accommodations. The 504 Team will decide if the suggested
accommodations are appropriate, and if so, how to provide them at school.

How is eligibility determined?
The 504 Team will consider if your child’s impairment substantially limits a major life activity. They will
make this decision based on information reviewed at the meeting. The 504 Team will consider if your
child’s impairment has a significant impact on your child’s performance or participation in school.

Can my child receive related services with a 504 Plan?
Typically at the DOE, students who require related services receive them through an IEP, and not a 504
Plan. Eligibility for related services is determined on an individualized basis. Examples of related services
are physical therapy, speech therapy, and mandated counseling services. If your child appears to need
any of these services, generally the 504 Team will refer your child to the school or district Committee on
Special Education.

Does my child need a 504 Plan for health/medical accommodations?
Not all students who need health services at school need a 504 Plan. If your child’s health service does
not affect their ability to participate in school and other DOE programs and activities on an equal basis
with their peers who do not have disabilities, then they do not need a 504 Plan. Contact your school’s
504 Coordinator for guidance.

 Example 1: A student visits the nurse’s office periodically for pain relievers for
headaches. They do not need any other supports or accommodations.• This student does not need a 504 Plan.

 Example 2: During the school day, a student with diabetes must have their blood glucose levels
monitored throughout the day, takes insulin at certain times, and needs bathroom breaks and
access to glucagon and snacks to manage their diabetes care.• This student does need a 504 Plan.

How are accommodations developed?
The 504 Team decides which accommodations will best meet your child’s individual needs. The Team
considers the type of condition your child has, and how significant its impact on the student’s ability to
participate. They will choose accommodations that will give your child an equal opportunity to take part
in school.
Students are provided necessary accommodations in the least restrictive environment in order to
interact to the greatest extent possible with their peers who do not have disabilities. This means each
504 Team develops an individual student’s 504 Plan with the goal of limiting missed instruction time and
separation from classmates.
 For example: A student with diabetes who cannot yet independently manage their health condition
at school may be assigned a paraprofessional to monitor their blood glucose in the classroom, or
wherever the student is throughout the school day, such as the gymnasium or hallways.

Once my child is determined to be eligible, is my child always eligible for accommodations?

504 Plans must be reviewed before the end of each school year or more often if necessary, and
amended at the time of the review, if necessary.
If your child’s impairment continues to substantially limit their participation in school, your child will
remain eligible for accommodations. The 504 Team will meet before the end of the school year, to the
extent possible, to create a new Plan for the upcoming school year.
If it is decided that your child’s impairment no longer substantially limits their ability in a major life
activity, your child is no longer eligible for accommodations (the 504 Plan is ended).

What types of communications will I receive?
Schools will communicate with you about DOE Section 504 policies. All schools post and share the
Notice of Non-Discrimination under Section 504.
If the 504 Team decides that your child qualifies for 504 accommodations, you will receive:
 A Notice of Eligibility. If you do not agree with the eligibility determination, talk to your school’s
Borough/Citywide Office Health Director. Contact information will be provided by the school or
can be found on the Section 504 webpage. You may also request an Impartial Hearing to
challenge the determination of the Health Director and must submit the written request within
10 days of receiving the determination.
 504 Plan. If your child is determined eligible for accommodations, the 504 Coordinator completes
the 504 Plan with the 504 Team’s input and based upon the relevant documentation. No 504 Plan
may be implemented without written parental consent, which is typically provided at the 504
Team meeting where the Plan is completed or soon thereafter.
 An Annual Notice of Reauthorization. This letter will tell you the steps that you must take to have
your child’s 504 accommodations renewed for the next school year.
See Chancellor’s Regulation A-710 and the Section 504 Accommodations webpage for more

Do I have the right to language access services during the Section 504 process?
Upon request, parents whose preferred language is one of the nine most common languages other than
English spoken by NYC residents as identified by the DOE (“covered languages”) have the right to
interpretation at 504 meetings, and translation of 504 Plans and notices. You can request language access
services by speaking with your school’s 504 Coordinator. Parents, who prefer a language other than
English or one of the covered languages, may also request language access services.
If you have concerns regarding language access services, please follow the escalation process described
on the DOE’s website (at If your concern is not resolved at the school
or district level, you may file a complaint. Details on how to file a complaint are explained on the DOE's
website (at 

Do you have additional questions?
 Reach out to your school’s 504 Coordinator or Health Director. The DOE Section 504 Program
Manager can also be reached at
 Learn more about accommodations on the DOE’swebpages mentioned above.

OSH-4 504 Student & Family Guide rev.9/2020


Here is the form you need to fill out for your child's 504 accommodations. 

 Parent Accommodations-Request Form- with-HIPAA 2.pdf